Friday 15 April 2011

Thoughts about Thoughts...

An early post for you today mi amor, these past few weeks I have been learning a lot about Lacan's 'Mirror Theory' and the connection between language and thought. The mirror theory states that our ego begins when we first recognize ourselves in the mirror, it is the first time that we make the connection between the reflection in the mirror and the body we are occupying, this leads to a heightened awareness of our control over our bodies which then develops into crawling, walking, running, being dexterous etc.
The theory regarding language and thought states that similarly to the mirror theory, once we have language we begin to be capable of thoughts as we now have the words to essentially think. This theory was explored by many including George Orwell who in his books shows the limiting of language to restrict the thought process and reduce thought crime.
Today I collected Jen from school, she will be five on Tuesday and is very well spoken and very developed in her skills. She ran ahead of me the whole way back to Gran's house and was very alert when it came to crossing the road and ,meeting people on the footpaths. I was amazed as I can remember feeding her a bottle and watching her try to crawl while lying on her tummy. When we got to Gran's we began drawing and she did fantastic drawing, she has great control and I think she may be very artistic. I watched fascinated as she continued to draw and chat with me and Gran telling us far fetched stories with so much excitement and expression!
Her thought were random as she told us many stories and she told us of memories she has, I kept observing and thinking about how our thought processes change as grow older, Jen was chattering about sheep and elves and cartoons she watches and about her impending birthday party. My Gran at the same time was listening to the radio and thinking about politics and I was thinking of you and well these thoughts about thought.
Isn't it fascinating that when we are babies we are amused by our fingers in front our faces because we do not realise they are ours, we are entertained and laugh at our reflections in the mirror because we cannot yet make the connection between the relation in the mirror and our actual body, when we are kids we are easily distracted and amused but we have the capacity to remember, to wonder about things and think about different  situations. In young adulthood we think constantly about many things some profound some not so, and then in old age we think about our families and current affairs.
I enjoyed so much observing today as three of us sat in my Gran's kitchen all three of us in different stages of life yet all doing the exact same thing, thinking.

I love you mi amor, always thinking of you.



This is Jen's drawing of Piglet from Winnie the Pooh :)

D.Mount

2 comments:

  1. Love this article bby!!.. I enjoy to read you very much :) you are so coherent and make me think and be amazed!!
    Yes bby I agree with u! :D Human mind is a complexity and we will never get to understand it for real
    I love you so so much too, and Jenas Drawing is great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks mi amor im glad you liked it!!
    te amo!!! :)

    ReplyDelete