Wednesday 7 October 2015

Are You Ready for This?

by Dani Mc Mahon

So as you may have noticed, my posts here at The Overleaf have been pretty scarce of late. I could start reaming off excuses as to why but in the interest of honesty I will be frank with you. Of late I have been feeling less than motivated. The last couple of months have seen many changes take place as I try to find where my passions truly lie. After careful consideration I have decided to return to my blog and I think the best way to get myself back up and running is to set myself a little challenge, so here goes...are you ready for this? 



30 Day Writing Challenge
Day One: Discuss your current relationship...

Wow, talk about a deep and meaningful topic to start! Okay so, anyone who knows anything about me will know that I am happily married and have been since August 2013. I married the love of my life in Mexico City on a beautiful Friday afternoon, a day I will remember for eternity as the happiest of my life. My wife is Mexican and we have been together for almost six years. 
At the beginning our relationship was one which required a lot of organisation and dedication, like all relationships I suppose but ours was long distance to boot. Living on different continents was really tough and there were plenty of tears each time we had to say goodbye and live apart. However, we fought hard and despite all the obstacles placed in front of us we made it work, we both knew that our love was worth it and that we had each found our soul mate. So it was that I found myself on a plane to Mexico in 2011, where I lived with J for two and a half years before returning to the Emerald Isle in search of brighter horizons. We now live here in Ireland, by the sea and we love it!
People are constantly giving out about marriage and giving it a bad name as a result. When you mention marriage these days you are met with less than enthusiastic faces. You are usually than fed the statistics relating to divorce and an opinion about how marriage is an antiquated institution which does no promote equality between the sexes. A few years ago I would have agreed. Then I met J. 
I think a lot of people let the label of being married really affect their relationship, I can safely say that since getting married nothing has changed for us, you do not love the person differently or value your relationship any more or less just because you signed a piece of paper, you continue to live and love just as you did before you donned a white dress and said 'I do' in front of a judge and a cat. 
I am happy to say that I married my best friend, we go on dates, we laugh until we cry, we laze about in pyjamas watching FRIENDS, we cook, we clean, we travel, we live life together and that is the most beautiful experience. 


P.S: Stay tuned in the coming days, I will explain all about the judge and the cat :)

No comments:

Post a Comment