Wednesday 16 March 2016

Happy Birthday, Gran!!

by Dani Mc Mahon


Today, one of my very best friends in the whole world turns eighty. You read me right, eighty. This spacial lady is not only one of my best friends but also my confidant, my inspiration, my advisor, my support, my companion in so many of life’s adventures and my Gran. 
I met my Gran when she was 53 and we hit it off immediately. She took care of me while both my parents worked and played such a huge role in making me the person that I am today. A strong, fiercely independent woman my Gran has the hugest heart in the universe but can also be a force to be reckoned with! If you need good solid advice on anything from a fashion choice to politics to finances my Gran is the lady to go to! She has a mind that would challenge even the smartest of people out there and memory to match!

Most of my fondest childhood memories centre around my darling Gran. She showed immense levels of patience taking me to school every morning as I loaded my numerous imaginary friends into the car, making her say their names as they boarded her small hatch back. She spent hours sitting with me drawing stick figures to represent every person that I knew. She sat on the door step of her house and cut a pear into the slices, taking out the middle section which was ‘yucky’ and then piling the pear slices back up on top of each other so my pear looked like hers again. We took trips to the library on Friday afternoons and she opened my first savings account teaching me all about money and how to manage it. She made me the best scrambled eggs and waffles and always let me have two biscuits when ever I asked. 

Gran and I spent every possible second together that we could and I can safely say I am privileged to call her my best friend. During the summer months we would hop on our bicycles and go for a cycle in our rural area. We would stop each time for a few minutes to visit a beautiful horse in a field we passed and make up possible names that we thought might suit it. 
Every August we sat down together to watch the famous Irish contest ‘The Rose of Tralee’ making a ‘tick’ or an ‘x’ beside the pictures and profile of the girls which appeared in the television guide. We tried our best to guess which ‘Rose’ would win and celebrated when we guessed correctly. These stories are just a few which come from a huge catalogue of memories, ones that Gran and I remember so vividly and often speak about.

Her witty sense of humour has never been wasted on me she makes me laugh every single time I speak to her. Although time has slowed her down and restricted some of her activities when I sit with her and we chat about everything under the sun she is just the same Gran to me that she always has been. She will probably kill me for even writing this piece, she is not one for fuss! But I don’t care. The world needs to know what an incredible Gran I have! Not many girls get the opportunity to have a best friend who is really a friend for life, somebody who is a soul mate, completely loyal, a true love in many respects and wicked smart to boot. I am one of the lucky few and I just had to share this special lady with you.


Happy birthday Gran!  I know you will pretend to dislike every minute of the fuss but inside you will be loving it! Always yours, Nange <3


No comments:

Post a Comment